Welcome to our one stop shop for everything you need to know about British lamb.
Find out more about:
- peak season lamb and what it is
- how to back British farming by buying British lamb
- get clued up on different lamb cuts
- try out a tasty BBQ lamb recipe
- and finally swot up on the best beers to complement your delicious British lamb!
- VIDEO: Follow the journey of this roast lamb dinner from fork to farm in under 30 seconds!
What’s so special about peak season lamb?
Offering the ultimate mix of price and quality, new season lamb has a wonderful delicate flavour and succulent, tender texture. It’s a great time to buy British lamb! British lamb is produced to some of the highest welfare standards in the world, so don’t forget to look out for it when you’re out shopping – it’s tender, tasty and in plentiful supply.
But when in the year is peak season?
June sees the beginning of the lamb ‘peak season’ going all the way through to December. Peak season lamb is born during the main window of lambing from February to April and accounts for about two-thirds of liveweight lambs marketed in the UK.
Why choose Red tractor lamb?
If you want to buy a quality product that can be traced back to the farm it was reared on, just look out for the Red Tractor logo on pack. The assurance standards cover food safety, animal welfare, environmental protection and traceability from farms to pack.
The welfare needs of sheep must not be compromised at any stage of their lives including transporting them in approved, safe, suitable vehicles. Farmers must also make sure their farming practices don’t damage the environment. Animals must be identifiable and traceable back to their farms of origin and the lamb produced meets standards of hygiene so that is it free from contamination and is safe to eat. The standards on Red Tractor assured farms are checked by independent assessors.
- Look for the Red Tractor on packaging so you know you’re buying British lamb.
- Eating out? Don’t be afraid to ask where the meat is from – a good caterer will be happy to share their sourcing policy.
- Strike up a conversation with your butcher, retailer or market stall holder – don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- If you’re not happy with the answer, vote with your feet!
Our friends at Simply beef and lamb have hundreds of fantastic recipes for you to try.
With the summer weather hopefully here to stay, it's time to dust off the BBQ and get creative!
Our favourite recipe this month is a delicious barbecued spatchcock lamb served with potatoes and salad. A simple but tasty recipe that takes just 15mins to prepare and cooks on your BBQ in 40mins!