The challenge: design a farm machine of the future
Some of the problems farmers face are:
Not having enough people to pick some types of crops by hand
Heavy machinery squashes the soil and stops plants from growing
Tractor drivers get tired having to work round the clock at harvest time
Farmers want to protect the environment
Things to think about
- What job will it do on the farm?
- How will it be different from the machines we see today?
- What type of fuel will be used in the future?
- How will it help the environment?
- How will it save farmers time and energy?
- Will the tractor be driverless?
How could you present your design?
It’s up to you what your design looks like. Here are just some suggestions:
- A video showing an explanation of the design, any research that has been done and any specific problems the design solves
- Pictures – either hand drawn or digital
- An advertisement or pitch of the final design
- A PowerPoint or Prezi Presentation
- Photographs of models/prototypes made using recycled materials, construction toys or robotics kits
The sky is the limit and we definitely encourage creativity!