We love to tuck into a punnet or two of strawberries while watching Wimbledon - just pair them with British cream and maybe a sprinkle of sugar and you've got the winning combo!
Did you know that during Wimbledon, which is the largest single annual catering operation in Europe involving 2,200 staff, a staggering 28k of English strawberries are eaten by tennis fans?
During Wimbledon fortnight, caterers supply:
- 330,000 cups of tea and coffee
- 320,000 glasses of Pimm’s
- 234,000 meals
- 230,000 bottles of water
- 110,000 pints of draught beer and lager
- 86,000 ice creams
- 76,000 sandwiches
- 44,000 litres of milk
- 30,000 pizzas
- 29,000 bottles of champagne
- 28,000 kg (140,000 servings) of English strawberries
- 25,000 scones