Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored & cut into 3cm chunks
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 170g blackcurrants (fresh or frozen)
- 125g plain flour
- 50g porridge oats
- 50g light brown soft sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 50g chopped nuts of your choice
- pinch vanilla powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Vanilla ice cream or custard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Toss the apples with the sugar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Stir through the blackcurrants, then scatter in an ovenproof dish (approximately 1 litre in volume) or individual ramekins.
- For the crumble, mix the flour, oats, sugar and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Using your fingers, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs with a few bigger chunks. Stir through the nuts and vanilla powder (if using)
- Flatten out the fruit as much as possible using the back of a spoon, then scatter the crumble on top.
- Sprinkle over the demerara sugar and bake until golden – 40 minutes for a large crumble or 25-30 minutes if using ramekins.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving, with lashings of double cream, ice cream or custard, if liked.