This recipe from Great British Bake Off finalist Miranda Gore Browne is a great standby for packed lunches and will happily sit in the fridge for a few days ready to be popped into your lunch box as you dash out of the house.
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 500g waxy potatoes (I used British Anya potatoes from Norfolk) thinly sliced.
- 100g chorizo (thinly sliced)
- 6-8 free range eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs
- Slice the onion thinly and put it into a frying pan with some olive oil, cook until starting to caramelise.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, beat together well and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the onions from the heat and put in a bowl to cool.
- Slice the chorizo and cook in the frying pan, put in a bowl to cool.
- Slice the potatoes (I don’t peel them but you can if you prefer), put them into the frying pan and cook on a medium heat, stirring regularly for about 15 mins or until cooked through. Waxy potatoes will hold their shape, other varieties may crumble or break up, don’t worry if this happens.
- Once the onion is cooled, stir this into the egg mixture.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and put them into a bowl to cool. After about five minutes, add them to the egg and onion mixture.
- Leave the egg mixture to stand for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat up your frying pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil, pour in the egg mixture and sprinkle the chorizo on top.
- Cook for about 15 minutes on the hob.
- Once the tortilla starts to set and is almost cooked but still a little runny on top. Find a large plate and invert the tortilla onto it. Then carefully slide the tortilla back into the pan, runny side down to finish cooking.
- Chop a few fresh herbs on top, some freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serve warm with salad or leave to cool, cut into wedges and have ready in the fridge for packed lunches.