This brisket joint is cooked is cooked very slowly in a low oven, tomatoes, barbecue sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, stock and smoked paprika. The tender meat is 'pulled', before it is shredded to serve.
Serves: 8 people
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 1.3kg lean brisket joint
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100ml prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml good, hot beef stock
- 2tsp smoked paprika powder
- Baguettes or bread rolls, to serve
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 2, 150°C, 130°C fan.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season with salt and pepper all over. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the remaining oil and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft. Transfer to the casserole dish with the joint.
- Add the tomatoes, barbecue sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, stock and paprika. Bring to the boil, cover and slow roast in the oven for 3-3½hours until the beef is tender.
- Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board and `pull’ the cooked beef apart by securing the joint with a fork and shredding the meat with another fork.
- Pile the pulled brisket in baguettes or rolls, spoon over the sauce and serve with cucumber and onion relish.
If preferred slice the brisket and serve with the sauce, creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.