- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 750g parsnips
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2cm piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1.15 litres vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- Chopped parsley and a little ground paprika to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and sauté for 3–4 minutes or until pale golden.
- Meanwhile, wash the parsnips, trim the ends and chop them into even sized chunks.
- Add the parsnips to the pan along with the garlic and ginger, sauté for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the stock and add a little seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20–25 minutes or until the parsnips are tender.
- Use a stick blender to purée the soup until it is nice and smooth.
- Add the crème fraîche and taste for seasoning. Serve hot in bowls, sprinkled with a little parsley or paprika.
NFU Countryside has put together a fantastic collection of recipes for our recipe book called 'Countryside Kitchen.' The book, which contains recipes and some of the stories behind the growers of the raw ingredients retails at £15.95 plus P&P. Members can buy the book for £7.95 plus P&P.
Buy your copy here