A post-Christmas classic – but remember turkey curry doesn’t just have to be for Christmas!
- 2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 6 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp mild curry paste
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 500g cooked Golden Turkey leg meat, cubed
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Fresh coriander, chopped (to garnish)
- Toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a dry pan until lightly toasted and very fragrant. Grind with a pestle and mortar and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat and add the cardamom pods, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick and chilli flakes until they start to crackle and release their flavours.
- Add the onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, then add the ginger, garlic and the freshly ground coriander and cumin seeds.
- Add the curry paste, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Turn up the heat to high and allow the curry to simmer for about 15 minutes, adding a little water, if necessary.
- Add the turkey and cook through until the turkey is hot. Season with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with steamed basmati rice, or chapatis, minted yoghurt and mango chutney.