Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, fry whole with the bacon then remove
- 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 200g Cornish Yarg cheese (or use another local hard cheese)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Two bunches of Cavolo Nero, chop off the stalks and finely shred the leaves – approx. 200g after chopping
- Salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 300ml Double cream
- 100ml of milk
- Put the butter into a pan, add the onion and cook until soften, then add the crushed garlic and cook for a few minutes. Pop the cooked onion and garlic into a bowl and the fry the bacon until crispy
- Cook the thinly sliced potatoes in a pan of boiling water for about 10 mins, drain and put to one side.
- Drain the potatoes and put half into an ovenproof dish. Put half of the Cavolo Nero, bacon and onions on top.
- Put the milk, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper into a jug, mix with a fork.
- Pour half of the liquid over the potatoes and Cavolo Nero.
- Add the remaining potatoes, Cavolo Nero and bacon mixture and mix a little to combine. Pour over the rest of the liquid.
- Spread the grated cheese over the top and pop into the preheated oven (170 degrees) for about an hour. I put mine under the grill for the last five mins to make it bubbly on top.