Spiced with garlic, ginger, green chillies, cumin and garam masala these aromatic lamb burgers are big on flavours. Cook on the BBQ or under the grill and top it with our suggestion of a pea and tomato relish for a tasty treat.
Prep time: 15 mins, plus chilling time
Cook time: 12–16 mins
For the burgers:
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1–2 small green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons garam masala or medium curry powder
For the pea and tomato relish:
- 100g fresh or frozen peas, (thawed if using frozen) mashed
- 4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Large handful freshly chopped coriander
- 4 burger buns
- Salad leaves
- In a large bowl, mix all the burger ingredients together. Season. Using slightly damp hands, shape the mixture into four 5cm burgers. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pea and tomato relish: in a small bowl, mix all the ingredients together, season to taste and set aside.
- Cook the burgers under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared BBQ for 6–8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked and meat juices run clear.
- Serve in burger buns with salad leaves, a spoonful of the relish and selection of accompaniments of your choice.