Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus marinating time
Cooking time: (based on a 2cm (¾inch thick steak)
- Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
- Medium: 4 minutes on each side
- Well done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 x 175g/6oz lean rump steaks
- 5ml/2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 100ml/3½fl oz fresh orange juice
- 45ml/3tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 30ml/2tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 15ml/1tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to bring up to room temperature. Transfer to a plate, cover and use when required.
- To prepare the marinade; in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Pour the marinade into a shallow non-metallic dish. Place the steaks in the marinade mixture and coat well on both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or if time allows overnight.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade (discard the marinade) and cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference.
- Remove the steaks from the pan, transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and rest for a few minutes.
- Serve with steaks an avocado salad and potato wedges.