Quick yet delicious sausage and bean casserole recipe, courtesy of our friends over at Love Pork. A perfect midweek option for some cosy and simple home-cooked food.
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Cooking skill: easy
- 45ml (3tbsp) Oil
- 400g (14oz) Pork and Chilli Sausages
- 200g (7oz) Baby shallots, peeled
- 1 Large carrot, diced
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5ml (1tsp) Tomato purée
- 1 Small can of Cannellini beans
- 200g (7oz) Puy lentils, cooked
- 300ml (11floz) Stock
- Sprig of Thyme
- 1 Red chilli, freeze to grate over the finished dish
- Freeze the Red chilli – to grate over the finished dish.
- Pre heat the oven 180°C, Gas mark 4.
- Heat the oil in an oven proof pan. Once hot add the sausages and whole shallots and gently colour all over.
- Remove the sausages and shallots from the pan and add the diced carrot. Cook for a couple of minutes then add the garlic and tomato purée.
- Add the beans, cooked lentils and stock along with the sprig of thyme.
- Return the sausages and shallots to the pan bring back to the boil and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Some of the stock will be absorbed by the beans and lentils to give a thick consistency.
- Once out of the oven take the red chilli from the freezer and grate all over to garnish.
Serve with creamy mash or alternatively with and a thick sour cream, cucumber and mint sauce.