Prep and cook time: 1 hour
Cooking skill: easy
- 2 large boneless skinless British chicken breasts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek, sliced, washed, and drained
- 200 ml | 7 fl oz water
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 ready-rolled puff pastry sheet, thawed if frozen
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 small egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180° fan) | 400°F | gas 6. Place four individual pie dishes on a baking tray.
- Toss chicken with cornflour and some salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a saucepan set over a medium heat. Stir in leeks and a pinch of salt, sweating until softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and water, bringing to the boil. Reduce to a simmer until chicken is just tender, 8-10 minutes. Take off heat, stirring in cream, mustard, and some salt and pepper. Divide between dishes.
- Roll out pastry to 25 cm | 10 inch x 18 cm | 7 inch on a lightly floured surface. Cut out four rounds from pastry, slightly larger than diameter of dishes. Drape pastry over dishes, sealing to edges.
- Make two small holes in the centre of the pastry lids. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until golden and puffed, 20-25 minutes.