Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 small cauliflower, trimmed (discarding rough stalks), washed and finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 850ml milk
- 25g butter
- 175g mature Cheddar cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the sesame toast
- 4 slices French bread
- 100g sesame seeds
- small amount of olive oil
- Put the cauliflower, potato and garlic in a large pan, cover with the milk and put on a low heat. Simmer until the potato is very soft, which should take approximately 10–12 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the butter and the cheese and, using a stick blender, blend until the soup is totally smooth. Season to taste. Set the soup aside somewhere warm.
- Toast the bread slices, then drizzle some olive oil all over them, and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls with the sesame toast.
NFU Countryside has put together a fantastic collection of recipes for our recipe book called 'Countryside Kitchen.' The book, which contains recipes and some of the stories behind the growers of the raw ingredients retails at £15.95 plus P&P. Members can buy the book for £7.95 plus P&P.
Buy your copy here