Prep and cook time: 3 h 30 min
Cooking skill: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 kg | 35 oz British beef shoulder, trimmed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 600 ml | 21 fl oz reduced-salt beef stock
- 400 g | 14 oz tinned plum tomatoes
- 600 g | 21 oz British baby potatoes
- 1 handful chives, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 150°C (130° fan) | 300°F | gas 2. Preheat a casserole dish over a high heat until hot.
- Rub beef with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brown beef in casserole dish, turning occasionally. Remove to a plate and reduce heat to medium.
- Add remaining oil, followed by onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, and a pinch of salt. Sweat until softened, 10 minutes. Return beef to dish.
- Stir in paprika, herbs, bay leaves, stock, tomatoes, and potatoes. Bring to the boil, cover, and transfer to oven.
- Bake until sauce has thickened
- and the beef registers at least 60°C | 140F on a thermometer,
- 2-2 1/2 hours; stir from time to time, turning beef over once or twice during cooking. When ready, season to taste with salt & pepper. Garnish with chives.