- 1.3 litres milk
- 114g unsalted butter
- 60g plain flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 250g grated cheddar cheese
- 125g grated gouda or swiss cheese
- 600g macaroni
- 100g bread crumbs
- Fresh herbs and cherry tomatoes to garnish (optional)
- Warm the milk over a medium heat.
- Melt the butter in a second pan over a medium heat, and when the butter starts to bubble, add the flour. Whisk for 1 minute, until you have a creamy paste.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick. This can take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and the cheeses.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni until the pasta is al dente. Drain the macaroni and rinse it with cold water. Place the cooked macaroni in a large bowl and pour the cheese sauce over; toss well to coat.
- Put the macaroni and cheese into a large greased baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over and top with some extra grated cheese.
- Bake at 200C for 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and sliced tomatoes and enjoy!
Last edited: 27 May 2020 at 08:54
Have your say
Be the first to comment