Prep and cook time: 1 h 30 min
Cooking skill: easy
For the filling:
- 1 kg | 35 oz British Bramley apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 300 g | 11 oz British blackberries
- 3 tbsp Silver Spoon caster sugar
- 3 tbsp sloe gin, or water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crumble topping:
- 225 g | 8 oz plain flour
- 4 tbsp Silver Spoon caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 140 g | 5 oz unsalted butter, cold
- and cubed
- For the filling: Preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350°F | gas 4.
- Combine everything for filling in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over a medium heat, stirring from time to time, until fruit is soft, 15-20 minutes. Take off heat.
- For the topping: Combine flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs; it should retain some texture.
- Spoon fruit filling into a rectangular baking dish, topping with crumble mixture.
- Bake until golden-brown and crisp on top, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.