Slow down and savour the comforting and reassuring hug of warm, freshly baked muffins. A great way to look after yourself and others. Grab for breakfast on the go, make a mug of tea and give yourself permission to have a moment of calm, or pack them for friends or children so they have a bit of nourishing home-baked love with them in their day.
- 140g soft brown sugar
- 20g honey
- 100g oats, or muesli
- 170g self-raising flour (or self-raising wholemeal)
- 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 80g butter, melted
- ½ an eating apple, cored and finely chopped
- 100g grated pumpkin or butternut squash
- 100g blackberries
For the topping:
- 20g oats
- 2 tsp of demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases or squares of non-stick baking paper.
- Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl – except the blackberries – and stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Stir gently until you have a creamy mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cases, filling each one about half full, add some blackberries and then spoon the remaining mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with some demerara sugar and a few oats.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Grab your mug of tea, put your feet up and enjoy!