- Butter, for greasing
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 500g plums
For the cake
- 175g butter
- 175g dark muscovado sugar
- 140g golden syrup
- 2 egg, beaten
- 200ml milk
- 300g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Grease and line the base of a 23cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Butter the paper generously and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Halve the plums and arrange in the base of the tin in 1 layer, cut-sides down.
- For the cake, melt the butter, muscovado sugar and syrup in a large pan over a low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the eggs and milk. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then mix to a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the tin, over the plums, and bake for
- 45-55 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- This will keep in the fridge, wrapped in baking parchment and foil, for up to five days.