Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g sugar
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 225ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 175g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g grainy mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/fan 160oC/350oF/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease six 8 x 4cm deep ramekin dishes. Line the bottom of the dishes with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- Gently heat the oil and cook the onions for 10 minutes until translucent, add the sugar and turn the heat up to caramelise the onions. Keep to one side.
- Melt the butter, stir in the flour to make a smooth paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for a further minute.
- Beat in one egg yolk at a time; add 100g of the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff, stir into the cheese mixture.
- Divide the onions between the ramekin dishes, then spoon the mixture on top of the onions. Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool, then remove the soufflés by running a bladed knife around the edge of each dish.
- Place the soufflés onto a baking sheet and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with a rocket salad.