Countryside Online

A membership for people who are passionate about rural life.

Related Documents ()      Comments () Share what you think
Clock

Join our campaign to ban sky lanterns

Sky lanterns_44053

Get involved and support our call for an outright ban on the sale of sky lanterns and help protect the great British countryside.

By tweeting your local council, you will be helping raise the concern over sky lanterns, and encourage more councils to implement a ban.

Click here to find out if your local council has banned sky lanterns

We have made it easy for you to tweet your local council. If you are not sure who your local council are, you can find out here.

All you need to do is:

1. Copy and paste one of the below tweets
  2. Save one of the below images
  3. Open Twitter
  4. Insert name of your council
  5. Don't forget to tag @NFUTweets

Sample tweets

[email protected]localcouncil123 Sky lanterns can be devastating for British farmers. #BackBritishFarming with an outright ban @NFUTweets

[email protected]localcouncil123 Sky lanterns are a risk to livestock & other animals. Please #BackBritishFarming by banning them in our area @NFUTweets

[email protected]localcouncil123 Sky lanterns pose a danger to both livestock and property. Please consider banning these immediately @NFUTweets

Sample images

Sky lanterns_48043

Sky lanterns_48044

Sky lanterns_48040

Sky lanterns_48041

Sky lanterns_48042

Download our sky lanterns poster and share on social media or display on your local community noticeboard.

Back British Farming

Back British Farming

Become a member

Spacer

Have your say on this

Your comment will be checked by our moderation team and may be used in other NFU publications. Commenting guidelines

• Posted by: Andrea ElstobPosted on: 29/10/2017 11:01:08

Comment: I think sky lantern should be banned
  • Posted by: SANDRA GEARINGPosted on: 29/10/2017 12:39:38

Comment: these lanterns are so dangerous should be banned everywhere, they have caused massive barn fires with loss of animals and of winter feed. also caused serious loss of life in animals sheep have been burnt alive, also horses my friends had such serious burns to its body had to be put to sleep after they spent weeks trying to save him from his horrific burns Sandra Gearing
  • Posted by: Dinah BishopPosted on: 29/10/2017 19:00:13

Comment: I can't understand why all councils haven't banned them! It is obvious what goes up must come down - so why allow floating fires to be sent up into the sky!
  • Posted by: Diane OliverPosted on: 02/11/2017 17:18:40

Comment: Definitely needs to be banned very dangerous so are balloons
  • Posted by: Felicity CorryPosted on: 03/11/2017 21:18:02

Comment: 6 sky lanterns fell within a few feet of the entrance door to my hay barn on New Year's Eve a few years ago. I took the lanterns to my M.P.'s office with an accompaning letter and I received no responce. After six months I asked a friend who went canvasing with the M.P. to tell him I wanted some action regarding Sky Lanterns. Eventually I received a letter saying that Health and Safety had looked into the matter and they were not considered to be a threat to public safety written on House of Commons so called headed paper. I also pick up every year many party ballons. These may give great momentry enjoyment to those who let them off, but nobody ever thinks about where they might land and the plastic polution they cause to the countyside or sea, and the misery to any animal that might eat them.
  • Posted by: Duncan HuttPosted on: 14/11/2017 21:08:44

Comment: While I fully agree with this I am a little disappointed that you didn't widen it a little to include balloon releases which also cause dangers to livestock and wildlife.
  • Posted by: David PondPosted on: 29/11/2017 19:29:34

Comment: Normal, decent people don't throw rubbish down in the street so why would anyone let it float off in to the sky with added fire and a bit of metal for animals to choke on?
  • Posted by: David JaffreyPosted on: 29/11/2017 22:00:43

Comment: I can remember, many moons ago, seeing the first set of sky lanterns disappearing into the sky. I couldn't believe the stupidity of it. It seemed obvious to me that a fire source floating with no control is akin to the approach from a fire-bug (arsonist). Unbelievable, and they have been legal too!!!
  • Posted by: carolyn brownPosted on: 30/11/2017 09:01:26

Comment: please get these banned they are dangerous
  • Posted by: Cath Hill-FreemanPosted on: 30/11/2017 10:11:44

Comment: I’m not on Twitter but would sign a petition by other means
  • Posted by: Annette RussettPosted on: 30/11/2017 13:51:55

Comment: We have known for years they are a risk to animals, I cannot understand why they were not banned long ago. The people who use them selfish, and uncaring to put it mildly.
  • Posted by: Sherry Reeves EllisPosted on: 30/11/2017 14:57:25

Comment: They are trulely a danger to livestock and property and should be banned as they are of no use or perpose to man or beast.
  • Posted by: David BealePosted on: 30/11/2017 17:17:21

Comment: Should be a countrywide ban