Countryside Online

A membership for people who are passionate about rural life.

Related Documents ()      Comments () Share what you think
Clock

Back British Farming Day 2017

Did you know that the food and farming industry is worth £109 billion and employs 3.8 million people? Back British Farming Day 2017 is on the horizon, and celebrates this success!

With Brexit negotiations underway, there has never been a more important time to back British farming. Back British Farming Day will take place on 13 September and is an opportunity to demonstrate to all MPs the importance of British farming.

Farmers across England and Wales will be inviting their local MPs to wear their bespoke wheat pin badge during Prime Minister’s Questions on 13 September to pledge their support for British farming.

Want to get involved?

You can help by tweeting your MP on the day, asking them to wear their #backBritishfarming wheat pin badge at #PMQs. Don’t forget to include @NFUtweets!

Back British Farming Day 13 September 2017_46011

British farming is the bedrock of the UK’s food manufacturing sector – which is bigger than the automotive and aeronautical sectors combined. This is the ideal chance to thank farmers for all the things they do for us, from producing our food to caring for the countryside - 70% of the land in England and Wales is looked after by British farmers!

Back British Farming day falls during this years Red Tractor Week (11 September to 19 September). Red Tractor is the largest food standards scheme in the UK covering animal welfare, food safety, traceability and environmental protection. Red Tractor Week aims to raise awareness of our great UK food standards and to encourage everyone to look out for the logo. Keep your eyes peeled on how you can get involved on their website, Facebook and Twitter.

Tips on backing British farming

1. Buy British produce! Use our sourcing guide to find out where you can buy what’s delicious and British. Look out for the Red Tractor logo with a union flag to know you are buying quality British food.
  2. Think seasonal. Not sure what’s in season now? Check out our seasonality chart to find out when British fruit and veg are at their best.
  3. Spread the word! Tell friends and family why it’s so important to back British farming.  Ask them to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and sign up to our monthly e-newsletter

Back British Farming

Back British Farming

Become a member

Spacer

Have your say on this

Your comment will be checked by our moderation team and may be used in other NFU publications. Commenting guidelines

• Posted by: Philippa Whitworth Posted on: 20/08/2017 12:48:42

Comment: I always try to buy British produce whether it be meat products or vegetables.
  • Posted by: RichardPosted on: 20/08/2017 13:18:50

Comment: British Dexter beef is the tastiest.
  • Posted by: Major Iain Dalzel JobPosted on: 20/08/2017 13:35:41

Comment: We grow Vegetables and Fruit on our land, but it is all for personal use. We also have Hens and we give the Eggs to The Guards Hotel in Edinburgh.
  • Posted by: Fiona Weir-clarkePosted on: 20/08/2017 14:51:35

Comment: I try as much as possible to back British farmers. I have my local farmer deliver bottled milk to my door and try to buy from local butchers.
  • Posted by: Keith PoulsonPosted on: 20/08/2017 15:50:47

Comment: We are only too pleased to support British farmers where every we can even if the costs are slightly more. Why would you not support!
    Now there are issues with the EU using porcine plasma, USA have used this for years. UK use is ZERO.
  • Posted by: Ronald JonesPosted on: 20/08/2017 16:42:45

Comment: Having been brought up on a Shroshire small holding and becoming a veterinary surgeon I always look for Red Tractors and Union Flags on all food purchases.I also am very careful to choose stores that openly support british farming (e.g. -Tesco -milk)
  • Posted by: Bryony SouthwellPosted on: 20/08/2017 17:26:29

Comment: British lamb & beef cannot be beaten, fed on our green & pleasant land the taste and texture is simply the best.
  • Posted by: MRS JUNE PHILLIPSPosted on: 20/08/2017 18:21:08

Comment: IT MAKES SENSE ON ALL LEVELS TO BUY BRITISH WHICH I ALWAYS DO GOOD FOR YOU FRESHER SUPPORTING OUR HARD WORKING FARMERS GOOD FOR THE PLANET LESS MILES TRAVELLED WHATS NOT TO ENJOY YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR DOING YOUR BIT FOR THE WORLD AND THATS GOT TO BE WORTH JUST LOOKING AT THE LABEL TO JUST CHECK UK PRODUCE NOT A LOT TO DO IS IT BUT WHAT REWARDS
  • Posted by: Gillian JohnsPosted on: 20/08/2017 20:45:32

Comment: I always buy British, I like to know where my food comes from and the best quality is British. Our farmers need our support and we need them.
  • Posted by: mary FoxPosted on: 21/08/2017 10:01:46

Comment: I help son-in-law sell his Lacock Dairy Icecream. It is made with the fresh milk from their herd, no nasty additives and lovely natural flavours. Although aged 88 (I'm not a fat lady) i still back british farming.
  • Posted by: Keith GrayPosted on: 21/08/2017 10:28:55

Comment: When shopping I only look for British grown foods.
  • Posted by: Paul WilliamsPosted on: 21/08/2017 10:53:51

Comment: Buying British is especially important in these uncertain times of Brexit and climate change.
  • Posted by: Jennifer StoreyPosted on: 21/08/2017 11:11:26

Comment: I try to buy British produce as much as possible and preferably organic.
  • Posted by: Susan BennettPosted on: 21/08/2017 16:25:36

Comment: I always buy British as I dont trust things from overseas
  • Posted by: Gillian LeePosted on: 23/08/2017 09:43:32

Comment: I buy British food whenever I can and try to shop seasonally. I exclusively buy British meat. I find the co-op a particularly good source for British produce. It is vital we support our super British Farmers.
  • Posted by: Janet NortheyPosted on: 24/08/2017 20:26:48

Comment: By buying British food
  • Posted by: JamesPosted on: 29/08/2017 00:08:58

Comment: Always buy British when I can, crazy not to!
  • Posted by: JudyPosted on: 13/09/2017 07:58:47

Comment: I always buy British. I would like to know why Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't on the map though? Were British too!
  • Posted by: JoboPosted on: 13/09/2017 09:33:55

Comment: What happened to Scotland, as it's still part of the British isles, also Northern Ireland.