Prep and cook time: 5 h 10 min
Cooking skill: easy
- 3 kg | 106 oz whole British turkey, cleaned and trimmed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 large apples, cored and quartered
- 2 onions, split in half
- 1 garlic head, split horizontally
- 8 rashers British streaky bacon
- 8 (small) floury potatoes, e.g. Russet or Desirée
- 1 handful rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325°F | gas 3. Place turkey in a large roasting tray.
- Rub turkey with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season inside cavity with plenty of salt and pepper before stuffing with the bouquet garni, apples, onion, and garlic.
- Cover crown of turkey with bacon rashers, interweaving them.
- Roast until thickest part of the thigh registers at least 71°C | 160°F on a thermometer, about 4 hours.
- When ready, remove from oven and transfer to a platter, covering loosely with aluminium foil. Let rest for at least 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 230°C (210° fan) | 450°F | gas 8. Make several cuts through the potatoes at short intervals, stopping just short of cutting all the way through; the potatoes should remain intact.
- Toss potatoes with remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, rosemary, and some salt and pepper in a roasting tray, sliced sides facing up. Roast in the oven until golden-brown and crisp, about 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest briefly before serving with turkey.