Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- half a level tsp of grated nutmeg
- half a level tsp of cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 85ml milk
- 85g butter, softened
- 145g muscovado sugar
For the topping:
- 60g butter
- 60g muscovado sugar
- 1–2 pears, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Grease and line an 18cm cake tin.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt into a bowl.
- Mix the eggs, treacle, milk, butter and sugar and beat into the flour.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- For the topping: spread the mixture around the bottom of the cake tin. Arrange the pear slices on top.
- Pour the flour mixture over the pears and smooth over.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes, then stand for 10 minutes and invert. Serve warm with cream or custard.
NFU Countryside has put together a fantastic collection of recipes for our recipe book called 'Countryside Kitchen.' The book, which contains recipes and some of the stories behind the growers of the raw ingredients retails at £15.95 plus P&P. Members can buy the book for £7.95 plus P&P.
Buy your copy here